Disfunctional AMD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Milestone 1

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Milestone 1

Post  Admin Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:52 am

I thought this would be a lot easier to communicate through, instead of email. This way we keep a record of all our ideas and comments. If not than it was worth a shot. Just save the URL to this Forum to your Bookmark bar for easy access.

Justin Pohlman

Admin
Admin

https://disfunctionalamd.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Great Idea

Post  Jordan4804 Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:23 am

Hey Justin, I think this forum is a great idea for easy communication. As long as everyone else agrees, I'm totally up for using this as a good communication tool between all of us. Good Job

-Jordan Roman

Jordan4804

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty What I need

Post  Admin Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:09 am

Ok everyone. I need a list from each of you telling me what you are comfortable doing. This way we can start making assignments and deadlines for the different parts of the project. If you look at the group roster you will se that most people have multiple job titles. We are all gonna have to wear more than one hat for this project. Here is a list of things we will need. Please, as I said before, make a list of these and post them here of what you feel comfortable doing. Even if someone else has posted the same thing.

1. Audio recording
2. MIDI recording (built-in virtual instruments only (logic))
3 Mixing
4. Playing Instruments (please list separately, eg: guitar, bass, drums,....
If you can think of anything else besides these, feel free to add to the list.
I'm going to take responsibility of mastering the mix from the engineer. I have a feeling we are all going to have to play a little engineer so I'll just take what everyone gives me and put it together and make sense of it. The final mix will be, of course, open to critique. But we also aren't getting graded on how good the mix actually sounds.

Once I get a list from everyone that shows me what you are all capable of, I will then post a more detailed instruction on what everyones responsibilities are going to be.

When that is done and we are ready to start working on the project I will make a blank template of a project and compete project folder and upload it to Brandon's dropbox. We will have to take turns working on our separate parts.

As usual, if you guys have any questions feel free to call me or email me.

P.S. If you register for this forum, instead of just posting to it you can tell it to send you notifications when someone has posted to it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty What I can do

Post  Brandon Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:11 am

1. Audio recording
2. Mixing
3. Arranging
4. MIDI recording
5. I usually create music with a step sequencer, mainly FL Studio
6. I do mainly hip hop and christian rap beats. I also can rap and help with songwriting.
7. I really liked how we learned documentation, so I would enjoy doing that if you all like.

That's all I can think of right now.

Brandon

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Re: Milestone 1

Post  Jessica Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:11 pm

I can Mix
I dont play an instrument
I also do not do any audio recording
Sorry I am not much help but i will try my best and do what i can.

Jessica

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty still missing

Post  Admin Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:31 am

Ok i still need Jordan's list, So I can start gettin all this together.
I will post the template logic session on Brandon's dropbox in the next day or so. we will all have to take turns doing our parts on the project.

Justin Pohlman

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Ready

Post  joesnomann Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:16 pm

That's cool! I cant wait to get started.

joesnomann

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan4804 Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:16 am

1. MIDI Recording
2. Arranging
3. Playing bass and guitar

Those are what I'm best at personally from these lists

Jordan4804

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Lets get started!!!

Post  Admin Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:41 pm

OK everyone, I've uploaded a blank session folder to the dropbox.
Brandon needs to go first since he has the sampling chops for the drum beat and the basic instruments for a good start.
This is a copy of the job:
Job Code: F45318K
A track needed for a some internet advertisements. The piece should be in the Rock
vein and should have a driving beat that conveys excitement and anticipation. The piece
should each be at least 90 seconds and no more than three minutes.

For now Brandon is the only one that needs to take the session off the dropbox.

Also, as long as you use the built in instruments and plug-ins we don't need to bounce to audio till the end.
This will save time with the transfer process since the audio files take up more space than the MIDI.

Jordan, I still need a list of your abilities you can use towards this project.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Sorry

Post  Admin Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:15 am

Scratch that last statement. Ha sorry Jordan, I didn't see your post earlier. Do you have an audio interface to record bass or guitar?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Confused

Post  joesnomann Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:08 am

I've never really done a rock beat before, so I'm having a hard time. Would it be ok if I use an apple loop or something because I really don't know where to start. Am I creating just a drum beat? What are the sampling chops you are talking about? This may sound crazy, but is there 2 Brandon's in our group?

joesnomann

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty clearing up

Post  Admin Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:24 am

Ok sorry, I was referring to your comment on your beat making with rap/Hip-Hop. I have no problem with using loops or whatever means you feel comfortable using. Loops would be easiest. And since we aren't being graded on originality or even how it sounds other than it being up-beat rock I am not worried about the use of loops. If you just wanted to get the beat down and thats all, I'm good with that.

I will say, we have to have at least ten audio tracks by the time its done so we need at the very least 3 of those be the beat or drums. If you need to, separate the parts of the kit into several tracks. eg: Kick, toms, snare, hat, cymbals. That way we can ably effects and eq's to them individually, and at the same time boosting our track count. I also don't have a problem with making the beat out of a non-traditional kit with more of a hip-hop feel to it if you feel that it still conforms to the rock sound we need. I'm sure that with a little guitar work we could make just about any beat sound rock.

And in addition, if you would like to add any other instruments to it, feel free to.

One last reminder, If you use a third-party plugin or sequencer make sure you bounce the MIDI data to audio.

Other than that, have fun. Smile

Justin Pohlman

cell: 618-979-5553 (if you have any problems or questions feel free to call or text)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty deadline

Post  joesnomann Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Ok I have to work today until 10 o clock pm, so I will do my best to finish it tonight and deliver it back to the dropbox around midnight. (Central Time)

joesnomann

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Complete

Post  joesnomann Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:08 am

Ok, I've finished my piece. It's very simple but I think it's ok. I also did a track sheet and a project info file. It's all in the dropbox. Let me know what you all think, and let me know if you have any questions. I'm off sunday and monday from work, so I'm available most of those days.

Brandon

joesnomann

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Sounds good

Post  Admin Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:29 am

Ok can you give me a couple measures of a strait double base line on a separate track. I think for the style we are needing to go for, it would be nice to have a kind of build up to the end. I'm sure we can do a lot with the other instruments, but I want to have that double base in there just in case I feel that it needs to end with it. When i was listening to it, I was hearing that in my head so I'd like to have it to test it out.

I would do it but I'm going to limit my interaction to the project with just producing and mastering.

As soon as Brandon finishes the drums, Jordan would you mind laying down a guitar and bass track?
I would do several takes, with different styles, sounds and chord progressions and then we will pick the best of all of them or a combination of.

Remember, Up Beat. Thats the goal.

I'm glad we finally got this started, but we don't have much time to finish, so everyone needs to be checking there emails for notifications as often as possible.

Thanks everyone,
Justin Pohlman

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan4804 Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Yeah I don't mind at all. Just let me know when I should get started after Brandon is done and I'll try my best for it.

Jordan4804

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Sorry Guys

Post  joesnomann Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:46 pm

My internet got turned off, and I didn't get the message until today. I added a bass line. Tell me what you think. Sorry again for it taking so long.

Brandon

joesnomann

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Sorry Guys

Post  joesnomann Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:48 pm

My internet got turned off, and I didn't get the message until today. I added a bass line. Tell me what you think. Sorry again for it taking so long.

Brandon

joesnomann

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Great

Post  Admin Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:59 pm

Sounds good. Can you just give me a measure of the double bass (kick), if it turns out to need it we will have it there to loop.

And as soon as Brandon is done with that, Jordan it's your turn. I'm gonna need a rhythm and lead guitar track from you. and if you want to add a strings or something else to it, I won't complain.

Brandon, let us know when you're done.

Thank guys,
Justin Pohlman

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty one more thing

Post  Admin Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Since Jordan will be doing the guitar, I give him the right to record a bass track as well if he would like to change the feel or melody.
Try and give us several takes of whatever you are doing so that we have more choices in mastering.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Ok

Post  joesnomann Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:46 pm

You want a measure of the kick midi or audio? Or are you talking about a measure of the bass midi or audio?

joesnomann

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:56 pm

I need a measure of the kick in a double bass. Meaning A kick every beat and a half 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and......
K K K K K K K K

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:06 pm

LOL sorry the K's where supposed to line up under the numbers and ands

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Milestone 1 Empty Ok

Post  joesnomann Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:23 pm

Ok check it out guys and make sure its correct. I'm still a little confused on what your asking me for. (The kick/double bass thing is throwing me off)

joesnomann

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Perfect. I just needed it for the end.

OK jordan, Your turn.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content